85.1% of households of the country have access in the Internet from residence and compared to 2011 an increase of 69.5% is recorded. Alongside, broadband connection uses 85% of all households with at least one member aged 16-74, showing an increase of 6.3% compared to 2020 (80%). increase of 6.3%.
Also according to the relevant research of ELSTAT:
- 8 out of 10 (78.5%) aged 16- 74 years old used the internet in the first quarter of 2021 and an increase of 0.5% was recorded compared to 2020. Regarding the reasons for using the internet, the main activity is online reading news from websites, newspapers, magazines, and concerns 9 out of 10 (90.4%). Online banking is the activity with the highest increase (15.4%) compared to the first quarter of 2020 (46.8%). phone calls and video calls with applications such as Skype, Messenger, Viber, etc. (15.1%) and the search for health information (12%). An increase is also recorded for learning activities. Specifically, an increase of 81.3% was in the internet users who attended an online seminar or course and 104.1% in those who used online educational material (audiovisual material, software, electronic manuals, applications) in addition to the material related to the online program they attended
- 1 in 2 (55%) used e-government services in the period April 2020- March 2021 for personal reasons. E-government services include the electronic communication, via the internet, of citizens with public services and authorities for personal use. Includes services related to citizens’ obligations (tax return, etc.), official documents (police ID, birth certificate, etc.), education services (public libraries, information and enrollment in schools or higher and higher education institutions) , public health services (scheduling appointments, issuing medical certificates, certificate of hospitalization or examination of a patient, etc.).
In this context:
6 out of 10 (58.3%) who have ever used the internet at least once, in the first quarter of 2021 made an online purchase or order of goods or services via the internet for personal use. Compared to the first quarter of 2020, the percentage of internet users who made online purchases increased by 22%.
91.5% of consumers who made e-purchases chose to make e-purchases from domestic companies, a percentage that records a decrease of 1.7% compared to 2020 (93.1%), while an increase of 20.5% and 14.4 % is recorded in consumers who made online purchases from sellers in other EU countries (2020: 21%, 2021: 25.3%) and from sellers in non-EU countries (2020: 13.9%, 2021: 15.9%), respectively .
Regarding physical (non-digital) products purchased or ordered online for personal use:
- 76.3% of people bought clothing (including sportswear), footwear and accessories (bags, jewelry, etc.).
- 33% of people bought food delivered from restaurants, fast food restaurants, catering.
- 29.7% of people bought cosmetics, beauty or health products.
- 29.1% of people bought sportswear, excluding sportswear and footwear included in clothing and footwear.
Regarding products purchased in digital form:
- 19.5% of people bought movies or series, either as a streaming service or as a downloadable digital file. Compared to the first quarter of 2020 (8.3%), an increase of 134.9% was recorded.
- 9.8% of people bought music, either as a streaming service or as a downloadable digital file. Compared to the first quarter of 2020 (4%) an increase of 145% was recorded.
- 6.1% of people bought e-books, online newspapers / magazines. Compared to the first quarter of 2020 (2.6%), an increase of 134.6% was recorded.
- 6.1% of people bought games for mobile phones, tablets, PCs or game consoles. Compared to the first quarter of 2020 (4.8%) an increase of 27.1% was recorded.
Regarding the services that are bought the most:
- 18% of people bought internet subscriptions or mobile connections. Compared to the first quarter of 2020 (17.2%), an increase of 4.6% was recorded.
- 16% of people bought assistance for electricity, water, gas, etc. Compared to the first quarter of 2020 (13.2%) an increase of 21.2% was recorded.
- 1.5% of people bought tickets for cultural events or leisure (cinema, theater, concerts, etc.). Compared to the first quarter of 2020 (14.3%) a decrease of 89.5% was recorded.
Regarding the number and value of online purchases:
25.9% of people who made online purchases encountered a problem while shopping. An increase of 49.7% is recorded in the percentage of those who encountered a problem compared to the corresponding percentage recorded for the first quarter of 2019 (17.3%). An increase of 148.8% was recorded in the percentage of those who reported as a problem the delivery time of the products that was longer than indicated, and a decrease in the percentage of those who reported difficulty in using the website and technical problems, final cost higher than indicated, delivery of damaged or wrong products, etc.
With regard to actions for the protection of personal data, there is an increase compared to 2020 for all actions, except for reading the policy for the protection of personal data before they are provided (decrease of 14%). The largest increase (35.5%) is recorded in the refusal to use personal data for advertising purposes. The fact that online activities on the internet are recorded and used to send ads, occupies 7 out of 10 (67.8%).