Texas police face criticism for late arrival to shooting


Local police in Texas have come under heavy criticism after officers reportedly arrived far too late at the scene where Salvador Ramos carried out a massacre on Tuesday, the news agency reports. PA Thusday. It took the officers at least 40 minutes to arrive.

testify against PA report from a hesitant police unit that took a very long time to enter the building in the Texas town of Uvalde. Inside, Ramos shot and killed 19 children and two teachers.

The father of one of the children shot said he rushed to school when he heard about the shooting. When he arrived, he saw the officers waiting outside.

“They weren’t prepared,” he explains. He suggested other passers-by storm the building themselves, as “the police didn’t do what they were supposed to.” “More could have been done.”

Another witness reported passers-by shouting for officers to come in. According to the witness, the agents could have entered much earlier. “There were more. He (the shooter, editor’s note) was all alone,” he says.

Police only on site after 40 minutes

After the shooting, Texas Department of Public Safety Chief Steve McCraw said it would take at least 40 minutes to an hour before a special police unit burst into the classroom.

It’s still not entirely clear whether this time frame is calculated from when Ramos was in school, or from when he shot his grandmother. This happened shortly before the shooting. A ministry spokesman said Thursday that the timeline was still being worked out.

It is also still being investigated whether there was a confrontation between Ramos and the officers outside the school before he carried out the massacre. This is what Lt. Christopher Olivarez suggested to CNN† He said the information is still under investigation.

Authorities insist they acted quickly and appropriately

For now, the authorities themselves claim to have acted quickly and adequately. “At the end of the day, the most important thing is that the police were there,” McCraw said. “They acted immediately.”

The head of the special police unit also said there was no hesitation from the officers. According to him, the unit quickly rallied behind a front officer with a shield.

However, an anonymous police spokesperson said officers were unable to open the classroom door. It is even said that a school employee was asked to open the room with a key. We are still trying to find out if the door was actually barricaded.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.