Afghanistan ends search for earthquake survivors

0

Afghanistan is no longer looking for survivors of the earthquake that killed at least 1,150 people on Wednesday. A senior government official said so on Friday.

According to Afghan authorities, approximately 10,000 homes were destroyed or severely damaged. The 6.1 magnitude earthquake is the deadliest since 2002. Its epicenter was 44 kilometers from the city of Khost, in the south-east of the country.

More than 2,000 people have been injured, a spokesman for the disaster relief ministry also said, warning that there is a shortage of medicine and other necessary relief supplies.

Aid workers from the Red Crescent, the Afghan branch of the International Red Cross, are working in the area to help those affected by the earthquake.

Earlier on Friday, the Indian government said a team had been sent to Afghanistan to coordinate the delivery of relief supplies. Pakistan, Iran and Qatar have also reportedly airlifted relief supplies.

Other countries, including Norway and Germany, only want to help through the United Nations. In this way, they want to prevent aid from falling into the hands of the Taliban instead of the affected region.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.