Italy’s Deputy Health Minister Pierpaolo Sileri spoke today about the government’s next steps in tackling the coronavirus pandemic.
“If necessary, we will extend the state of emergency to best deal with the pandemic. “If we decide, however, it will be a limited extension,” he said in a radio interview.
“The appearance of the Omicron variant, to some extent, changed our predictions, but I think we have almost left behind the most critical phase. “A lot also depends on how the vaccination process will continue, with the first and third doses,” Sileri added.
It is recalled that, based on the decisions so far, the state of emergency in the country should end on December 31.
What the epidemiological data show
At the same time, the other Deputy Minister of Health of the Draghi government, Andrea Costa, in an interview on Rai Public Television called on the Italians to “read” the epidemiological and statistical data correctly: “At the same time last year, there were 30,000 patients in our hospitals with covid-19, while now it is 6,000. “There were 3,300 in the Intensive Care Units and today there are less than 800,” said Costa.
He explained that “the increase in cases is mainly due to the fact that there are clearly more tests than in 2020” and concluded that “the main, positive element is that 87% of the country’s population over 12 years old has receive the first dose of the vaccine and 85% the second “.